Friday 8 June 2012

Film Cameras

Since it's the holidays I am at my grandparent's and every time I go, I find something very interesting and thrilling. Last time it was a late 1970s record player and a bunch of records, including Paul McCartney's Pipes of Peace (one of my favourite of his solo albums) and the Bee Gees. Well, this time I found a beautiful Olympus  AF, I'm not sure which model it is though... It's in perfect condition and I found a brand new film roll in it... 

I love cameras, something about the cacking sound it makes when I press the shutter button excistes me and I can't wait to see how the shot I took turned out. Eventhough, digital cameras offer quick and tecnological advancements, I still dream of a beautiful film camera called the Asahi Pentax. Is it the fact that I love the sixties and want a type of technology appropriate to that era? 
The fact that this camera was meant to be one of the most advanced cameras in the 60s plays big part but with film, you can gain an atmosphere and feel which can't be found with Digital cameras. Highlights are better held in 35mm film cameras which can be used to emphasize a main subject or express more subtle emphasis on a secondary subject this can't be done with digital.

The Pentax Asahi 
Eventhough the price of film processing may put you off getting film, it is cheaper to get a good quality film camera then a digital one... 
  Those are two of my favourite photographs from Bailey's photo shoot with Jean Shrimpton in 1962. They are prefect examples of how film cameras can bring out and emphasize a sense of action in a picture due to the quality and colours. I love the contrast between Jean's stiff pose and the men's movement in the picture on the right

No comments:

Post a Comment